Notification

Icon
Error

dive door problem
366bushwacker
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:21:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Owner

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Im having an issue with my 366 cuddy's dive door in that the bolt at the apex of the hinge that attaches the rope pole to the ladder keeps on bending and sometimes breaking whenever we use the ladder. When I purchased the boat used the rope pole was un-attached so I bolted it together with a heavy stainles steel bolt snadwiching it in the middle with a thin nylon washer on either side. What I see is that whenever you add weight to the ladder the rope support pole wants to bend the attachment bolt. Tension from the weight loaded pole (130-180 lb max. passenger) is pulling the pole twards the bow of the boat. I have changed out the bolt and nylon spacer washers many times only to have this happen again after only 3 or 4 climbs into the boat. I have looked at a few other dive doors at the Harbour Towne location to check out the method of attachment for the rope pole and they all look assembled the same way I have done it.

Any suggestions?

thanks
1 user thanked 366bushwacker for this useful post.
simontusha on 4/14/2013(UTC)
jbrenna
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 10:04:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Admin, Administrators, Content Authors, ForumAdministrator, Owner
Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Mark, It sounds like the rope that spans the distance from the gunwale to the door might be a little too short. The door should just touch the chine when it's in the fully down position with a load on it. Stopping short of that would cause the stanchion to have too much of a load, thus failing as you describe. Please send me a pictures if you can. My email is jbrenna@intrepidpowerboats.com Best regards, Joe
1 user thanked jbrenna for this useful post.
simontusha on 4/14/2013(UTC)