Notification

Icon
Error

Weight of 2002 289 walkaround - Question
tucanchu
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:14:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Owner

Interesting piece of data on my boat. Just had a trailer built by Loadmaster out of Tampa. we used the published weight data on the boat when designing. Per the spec sheet the boat weighs 3400 dry. Two Yamaha 200 HPDI 2 strokes for power. The boat seemed quite a bit heavier than expected the first time I pulled it. Had it weighed at an officlal scale and the weight was 9220! The trailer weighs 1200#, the motors weigh 1000#, fuel was maybe 40 gallons so 240# That means my boat is actually coming in at approx 6700#, or 3300# greater than the spec sheet dry weight of 3400#! Any ideas on how we explain this delta in weight?
jbrenna
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:15:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Admin, Administrators, Content Authors, ForumAdministrator, Owner
Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Tucanchu, Thanks for posting to our forum. Each boat that we build is different than the next so it would be an almost impossible task to provide good information as to how much they weigh. Please let me know which spec sheet was used, I'm interested to see if there's any other erroneous information out there that may mislead our customers. As an aside, someone called me this month asking for the weight of a 289 Walkaround and I estimated that a wet version of that boat was somewhere around 8,500 #. To my knowledge we never published weights for the boats we've built. Regards, Joe Brenna - V.P. Customer Service - Intrepid Powerboats
tucanchu
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:33:11 AM(UTC)

Hi Joe - thanks for the quick reply! It is impressive how closely you guys monitor the discussions on here!

below is a URL that should take you to the data I found on the boat. I did go through all of the Intrepid source documentation I have on the boat and you are correct that the weigth is not declared. When I was meeting with Fred at Loadmaster in Tampa, he had a hard copy of the "big book" which I think was the powerboatguide and it also identified the dry weight of the boat at 3400#. Ultimately, Loadmaster had to build an entirely new trailer for me once we understood the actual weight so it would be good to update industry info if possible.

thanks
John Wick

http://www.powerboatguid...%20289%20Walkaround.pdf
jbrenna
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:53:17 AM(UTC)

Man

Hi John, Not sure who provided the information to the people at Powerboat Guide, I've been taking care of Customer Service since 2001 and it's been our policy not to give out such general information. We will give our customers estimates of what the boat will weigh, but always include a caveat that they should actually weigh the boat on a scale. Fred at Loadmaster has worked with us for years, he's always welcome to call me or visit to glean information on the boats for which he builds trailers. I'll invite you to come for a tour of our factory sometime, you'll gain good insight as to how our new boats are built. Regards, Joe
tucanchu
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:43:52 AM(UTC)

thanks again, Joe. I would love to make a Friday afternoon field trip to visit the factory and have a few other boatowners here at the office that I am sure would want to tag along. Let me know if you have some dates that work well for you and I will see if we can pull it together.

John
jbrenna
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:16:43 PM(UTC)

Man

John, Will the afternoon of Friday August 24th work for you for a tour? The afternoon of the 31st would be okay as well. My email address is jbrenna@intrepidpowerboats.com , please reply to that address so I can transfer our appointment to my calendar. Joe